Last June 15, 2015, Fujifilm Philippines launch its latest addition to its mirrorless cameras, the XT-10. We were brought to the beautiful resort of Pico De Loro in Batangas to experience how the XT-10 performs as a travel and lifestyle camera.
The first part of the event was to learn about the X-T10 camera. Fujifilm executives explained the features and the advantages of the the Fujifilm cameras and the X-T10 in particular. They highlighted how compact the camera is in spite of its advance features and high image quality picture taking capability.
After lunch, we were lucky to be taught by the seasoned X-Photographer and Fujifilm Travel and Street Photography ambassador Rommel Bundalian who recently came back from his Himalayas trip. He briefed us about travel photography and showcased his travel and street photographs.
After the lecture, it was announced that there will be a photo contest and each of the winners will get a Fujifilm XP80 action camera plus 5000 miles points of Cebu Pacific GetGo card. We were divided into groups of 4 which resulted to 9 groups. The competition was to take four photos, one for each member, using the Fujifilm X-T10 to form a photo essay to answer the question: “What is your idea of an ultimate travel experience?”
I was teamed-up with Victor Basa, Kimmy, and Eric. After we discussed that our theme will be “off the beaten track” and adventure, we went around Pico De Loro to shoot some photos. We also agreed that we will use the tone of black and white to add more drama to the photos.
Here are some of the photos we have taken using the X-T10.
We decided to select these four photos as our photo essay entry:
Unfortunately, we did not win the competition. I spoke to one of the judge later that evening, and asked for the critique of our photos. He said the Black and White tone was not appropriate for the theme because you usually take home colored photos when traveling. Our photos were to artsy.
Anyways, we had a good time taking the photos and found it easy to come up with good photos using the X-T10 camera.
I find the X-T10 is an ideal travel and lifestyle camera due to its compact and lightweight die-cast magnesium body design. Although small and easy to carry, it still shoot photos with outstanding image quality and unique color reproduction. Equipped with fast 49 point AF system, an electronic Real Time Viewfinder, and a 3-inch 920K-dot tilting LCD monitor suitable for both above head and close to the ground shooting , the X-T10 can match or even exceed the performance of heavier DSLR cameras.
Controls and Ease of Operation
X-T10 has a classic premium feel and allow users to intuitively adjust the basic shooting parameters and functions through the dials without having to go to the menus.
- aperture via the aperture ring in the lens,
- filters/drive/bracketing via the left dial
- shutter speed via the middle shutter speed dial
- exposure compensation via right dial
If in a hurry (or just lazy), you can easily flick the Auto Mode Switch lever below the middle dial for selecting the fully-automatic Advanced SR Auto mode and the camera will automatically chooses the optimum settings for a given scene.
There are also two command dials and seven function buttons in which the functionality can be can be customized so that you can tailor them to your own requirements and style of shooting. There is a dedicated video shooting button.
The body has an integral pop-up flash, positioned in the center of the top plate. The built-in Super Intelligent Flash automatically adjusts light output according to the scene type.
One of the newest addition to the Fujifilm camera systems is the new AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects. Although not new to DSLRs, this functionality is a new milestone for the Fujifilm system.
The camera features Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes. The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions – when shooting a portrait with a very wide aperture to obtain strong bokeh effects, for example.
The Auto Macro function automatically activates the Macro mode while maintaining AF speed, eliminating any need to press the Macro button to capture a close-up. This allows you to re-assign the Macro button to a different function.
In Fujifilm’s tradition of 80 years of development of photographic films, they have used this technology to help the camera to reproduce warm skin tones, bright blue skies and rich green trees, just as photographers remember the scene. The X-T10, like other Fujifilm X cameras, features different film simulation modes that mimics the classic slide, black and white, and professional films used by photographers for decades.
Advanced Filter functions are also available on the X-T10. Users can choose from eight different artistic effects:
- Pop Color – Emphasizes contrast and color saturation
- Toy Camera – Creates shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera
- Miniature – Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect
- Dynamic Tone – Creates a fantasy effect by boosting tones
- Partial Color – Retains one selected original color and changes the rest of the photo black & white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
- High Key – Enhances brightness and reduces contrast to lighten tonal reproduction
- Low Key – Creates uniformly dark tones with few highlight areas
- Soft Focus – Creates a look that is soft throughout the whole image
- Multiple Exposure function offers users the chance to combine two separate subjects into one photo
- Camera’s aspect ratio can be selected from 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 (square)
- Interval timer shooting for time lapse photography
- Completely silent electronic shutter that is capable of exposures up to 1/32000sec. Very silent as there are no mechanically operated parts so shooting candid shots of animals and sleeping babies can be done easily than ever before
- Full HD video
- 60 fps smooth Full HD movies. 50fps, 30fps, 25fps and 24fps frame rates are also available
- Film Simulation modes, including the latest CLASSIC CHROME
- White balance setting is also possible
- Manual exposure can also be set during movie shooting. Aperture, shutter speed and ISO sensitivity can be changed while shooting
- High-speed, high-precision focusing is made possible by activating Intelligent Hybrid AF
- Manual focus is also possible
- Six types of scene recognition functions can be used, or it can be left up to the camera to capture beautiful movies
- High bit rate of 36Mbps enables high definition capture of delicate movements
WIFI AND REMOTE CONTROL
The X-T10 has built in Wi-Fi for transfering photos to your smartphone or tablet devices. You can also remote control the camera using your smart phone using the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote.
Photos can be sent directly from the camera to the Instax SHARE Smartphone Printer for instant Instax prints.
The Fujifilm lens system is currently composed of 18 high-performance FUJINON X-mount lenses that deliver premium image quality. Fujinon lenses are noted for its high quality optics in medium format lenses and cinematography. These technology were carried forward to the X-mount lenses.
Its modern design also offers the brightest possible maximum aperture while maintaining a compact and portable size with weight less than compared to DSLR lenses of the same optic quality and specs.
The current line-up of 18 lenses ranges from ultra wide-angle to telephoto, including five fast aperture prime lenses. These lenses bring out the very best image quality from the X-T10. Optional accessories such as mount adapters and macro extension tubes further broaden photographic potential.
Premium accessory line-up
Accessories range from Leather Cases, Hand Grip, M Mount Adapter for additional lens compatibility, Macro Extension Tube, Shoe Mount TTL Flashes, External Stereo Microphone, Protector Filters, DC coupler, AC adapter, and Remote Release.
Two color options are available: Black and Silver
Body only price is Php 40,990.
With 16-50mm XC lens kit price is Php 45,990.
With 27 mm pancake lens kit price is Php 49,990.
There is a special offer that when you purchase an X-T10 from June 18 to August 18, 2015, you will get a Cebu Pacific GetGo card with 5,000 points when you register their cameras with serial number at getgo.xphotographers.ph. The GetGo card is Cebu Pacific’s Lifestyle Rewards program that gives you free flights.
After trying out the X-T10 and knowing its specs and capabilities, I can easily conclude it’s an ideal travel and lifestyle camera. It delivers APS-C DSLR capability with a lighter and more compact form factor. The quality of the photos, the color that you get with Fujifilm camera, the film simulations, the ease of operation, and features makes the X-T10 ideal from a beginner to an advance amateur photographer.
It is a full featured as its big brother the X-T1 which cost a lot more but without the weather sealing.
I feel like buying an X-T10 to replace my X-E2. It’s that good!
Thanks you Fujifilm Philippines and Cebu Pacific GetGo for giving us a chance to experience the ultimate X-T10 travel x-perience!
Photo credits: all camera photos are from the press kit. Sample photos above taken using the X-T10