Last March 24, 2015, in a press event at the Treehouse, A-Venue Mall, Jose Cuervo, the world’s top-selling tequila, launches Dons of Tequila a global search for the next “Don” of tequila, a bartender who got what it takes to continue the legacy of the 250-year-old brand. The event was hosted by KC Montero.
The winning bartender will fly to Tequila, Mexico. He or she will harvest his own crop of agave, the raw crop where tequila comes from at the Jose Cuervo estate, then blend it into a unique tequila and get a batch labelled under his own name.
The Philippine leg of this worldwide hunt officially started. Aspiring “Dons” bartenders can join this challenge by uploading a photo of their signature tequila-based cocktail or shot serve at DonsOfTequila.com.
On July, a National Finals where the Ten (10) selected bartenders will compete where they have to show that they have the grit, passion, and cojones of a true Don.
The local finalists will be guided by Jose Cuervo’s Dons of Tequila Mentors :
- Prive Luxury Club’s cocktail bartender and Diageo Reserve World Class 2014 winner Jerry Miranda,
- T.G.I. Friday’s Genrev Bacasno, who recently bagged second runner-up honors at the 23rd Annual World Bartender Championship,
- Divine Lee
A Bartenders Bootcamp, designed to prepare the ten for the National Finals, where their creativity, technical knowledge, and personality will be judged by the Instigators, together with the Jose Cuervo Brand Ambassadors.
The winner will hold the title Don of Tequila in the Philippines, and will represent the country in the Jose Cuervo Dons of Tequila Global Finals for a chance to follow the footsteps of some of the world’s legends of tequila. The Dons of Tequila Global Finals is a showdown of the best-of-the-best from each country, set against the Jose Cuervo distillery, La Rojeña, in the town of Tequila, in Mexico.
For more information about the competition and of all things Jose Cuervo, visit www.DonsofTequila.com. The website features the stories of the current Dons of Tequila, as well as a selection of drinks fit for a Don, crafted anddemonstrated by head barmen from La Rojeña.
How to Join
1. Visit www.DonsofTequila.com and create a new Jose Cuervo shot serve – a new way to serve a shot of Jose Cuervo Gold, or an innovative shot-size mix using Jose Cuervo Silver.
2. Entrants must enter their details along with a name for their serve, an explanation of how they made the drink, and how it captures the spirit of the Dons.
3. Entrants must upload a photo with the online form.
4. Shortlisted entrants will be notified via email.
1. Ten (10) finalists will be selected from all Philippine entries.
2. The finalists will undergo the Bartenders Bootcamp with the Dons of Tequila Mentors.
3. The National Finals will be held on July 6, 2015.
4. The finalists will be judged against the following criteria:
- Technical Know-How
- Tasters Votes
5. One (1) finalist will be named winner. He or she will receive:
- The title of Don of Tequila – Philippines
- Jose Cuervo products and premium items
- All-expense paid trip to Mexico to represent the Philippines in the Global Finals of Jose Cuervo Dons of Tequila.
So if you are a bartender or who knows a bartender?If yes, join or tell your bartender friend about this great chance for becoming a “Don of Tequila”.